12th January 2018

Attendees

Naomi Richards (Acting Chair), Dan Farrow (SPA Secretary), Sara Le Turcq, Seb Roach, Axelle Young, Anna Skrein, Emma Boyd, Edil Adan Ahmed, Mirela Reljan-Delaney

Update on Christmas Fair earnings

The Christmas Fair last month raised over £1,000 – thanks again to everyone involved for all your hard work!

Spring Term events

Valentines day cake sale – Friday 2nd February

  • The three tables system worked well last time
  • Dan, Edil, Naomi are available to help
  • The cake sale will be outdoors or indoors depending on weather
  • We’re not sure where the cash aprons are… did somebody take them home to wash them?
  • ACTION [1] Check with school if hall can be used in the event of bad weather
  • ACTION [2] Look for cash aprons in SPA cupboard. If they’re not there we need to put a message out to find out who’s got them!

Bake Off cake sale

Ideas discussed included:

  • The date could be Friday March 9th, which is the first day of British Science Week so there could be a Science Themed Cake category
  • Alternatively Friday March 23rd, which would be closer to Easter and so there could be an Easter Themed Cake category
  • Category winners will receive rosettes, have a photo with the judges and be featured in the school newsletter
  • Categories will probably be:
    • Best child’s cake
    • Best cake made by a teacher
    • Best Science or Easter Themed cake (depending on date)
    • Best Tasting cake
    • Best Overall cake
    • Best of the Worst!
  • Celebrity judges
    • Niall Weir from St Paul’s Church West Hackney
      • ACTION [3] Mirela to ask Niall
    • School cook
      • ACTION [4] Naomi to ask cooks
    • Other judges? School office staff? Community Police Officers?
      • ACTION [5] Decide & organise other judges
  • Cakes will be sold after judging

Shacklewell Day – Friday May 11th

We discussed the possibility of running a larger fundraising event. Last year’s Festival of Friendship was very successful – it was a one-off, free event so we discussed doing something similar as a fundraising event.

Initially we discussed having it later this term, but decided earlier next term would be preferable.

Other events

We decided not to run the planned Street Play this term

Parent involvement

We discussed the problem of low numbers of volunteers at events.

Some points from the discussion:

  • Stalls & activities should only be finalised once specific volunteers have been organised to run them. This would avoid repeating the situation at the Christmas Fair where time & resources were put into organising stalls which had to be cancelled on the day because nobody was available to run them
  • More specific requests for help get better responses. We should continue using lists of available tasks when recruiting volunteers
  • We should decide on specific fund-raising goals for this school year and communicate them clearly to parents e.g. better water fountains in the playground
  • We should communicate & celebrate SPA’s previous achievements more clearly to parents. We had previously planned to photograph everything SPA cash has recently provided for the school
    • ACTION [6] Dan to look into photographing SPA purchases and updating SPA website & noticeboard
  • We should plan ahead for SPA’s introduction to new parents next term including
    • Introducing SPA at the Teddy Bear’s Picnic event for new parents
    • Signing new parents up for SPA’s mailing list & WhatsApp groups
    • Including a flyer in book bags during the first week
  • Some year 5 & 6 children would love the responsibility of coming up with a stall idea and running it themselves
  • Y5 & 6 kids would also enjoy helping out in kitchen during events, Give them responsibility and they will rise to the challenge!

SPA leadership changes

We discussed how we can update SPA leadership structure to divide responsibility more fairly.

Ideas included:

  • Dividing the leadership into core roles with one or two people in charge of each e.g. Fundraising, School liaison, Communications etc.
  • Having two SPA representatives for each year group who would take responsibility for liaising with parents from their year
  • Having SPA WhatsApp groups for each year group

There will probably be a seperate meeting to address this area in the coming weeks – watch this space!

Uniform sale

We discussed having another uniform sale at the same time as the Bake Off. Donations need to be dropped off the week before (week beginning Feb 26th) to allow time for them to be washed.

ACTION [7] Dan to send out request for uniform donations on Monday 26th February

Action list

  1. Check with school if hall can be used for cake sale on the 2nd Feb in the event of bad weather
  2. Look for cash aprons in SPA cupboard. If they’re not there we need to put a message out to find out who’s got them!
  3. Mirela to ask Niall if he’s available to judge cakes on Friday March 9th
  4. Naomi to ask the school cooks if one of them is available to judge cakes on Friday March 9th
  5. Decide & organise other judges for Bake Off
  6. Dan to look into photographing SPA purchases and updating SPA website & noticeboard
  7. Dan to send out request for uniform donations on Monday 26th February

Leave a Reply

Your e-mail address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.